The Latest: Walker surprised by Trump tariff proposal

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Gov. Scott Walker says he was surprised when President Donald Trump announced plans to impose new tariffs on imported aluminum and steel, saying up until last week he thought “we were in a good place.”

Walker on Tuesday urged Trump to back off on the tariffs, visiting a plastics manufacturer and food distributor the governor says would be hurt under Trump’s plan.

Walker says he had been talking with Trump’s Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross since last summer about how tariffs would hurt Wisconsin. Walker says he is scheduled to talk again with Ross on Wednesday, and possibly also Trump and Vice President Mike Pence.

Walker says if Trump won’t back off the tariffs in total, he hopes the president will make an exception for tinplate steel and ultra-thin aluminum. Those are used by Bemis Industrial Products and Seneca Foods, the two businesses he visited Tuesday in Oshkosh and Janesville.


Falcons Play Kaukauna in the State Tournament Friday Another Suspected Overdose Death in Kenosha Officials Question Foxconn Road Projects School Board Candidates Debate Walker unveils school safety bills that wouldn’t limit guns Kenosha Students Join National Walkout